Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Fast Food According to Lilly


I was just listening to an interview with Morgan Spurlock from Super Size Me via the Food Revolution Summit and it made me think of a conversation I had the other day with my friend Lilly, who is 4 years old. She saw a McDonald's ad and proclaimed with excitement that she loves McDonald's, which is no big news as kids are probably the chain's most desired demographic. However, she surprised me when she said that she "really only likes the PlayPlace, not the food because it isn't good for you".

I loved hearing that not only because food issues are close to my heart, but also because it shows how well her parents are teaching her about healthy eating. I also see it in the snacks they send with her when she comes over, such as fresh fruit and yogurt. Not being a parent myself, I can only imagine how difficult it must be to keep kids away from unhealthy foods, and I applaud Dan and Leslie for doing such a great job! Lilly has obviously been paying attention, and it makes me wonder how many people underestimate how open-minded kids can be. I know not all kids are alike, but I'm a firm believer that if a great example is given, even youngsters can follow suit.

It just goes to show you- it's never too early to teach your kids about nutrition!

Princess Lillypants

No comments: